Today was a great day for the Marian Cross Country team, with an amazing effort you are now Regional Champions! At last years Cross Country banquet, we had outlined a number of goals we had for this year, with today’s victory we check another box on that list. In addition to Regional champs, we had 3 girls earn All-Regional honors, Maya Harb, Erin Siver & Isabella Agrusso. Congratulations ladies!
We knew that todays race was going to be very difficult, we had beaten Linden at the Spartan Invite in Mid-September but lost handidly to them at the Linden Invite in late September. During that time Linden had gained momentum and most cross country experts had picked Linden to beat us. It took every ounce of effort we could muster, we finished in spots 6,7,15,17,22 for a total of 59 points and Linden finished in spots 9,10,16,18,19 for 62 points, a 3 point difference. Going in the last 100meters we had 3 girls (Erin, Isa and Ainslie) beat 3 Linden Girls, this was a swing of 6 points. This 6 point swing meant that 3 points were deducted from our score and 3 points added to the Linden score. Without those changes at the finish, the score would have been flipped. These were very important but so was Maya finishing in 6th , Bella running an amazing race and finishing in 22nd and Regan and Natalie fighting to the finish. At the end of the race, We just wanted it more!!This was a great team victory.
- Maya, All-Regional in 6th place with a time of 20:18. Running with Bronchitis you were amazing!
- Erin, All-Regional in 7th place with a time of 20:33. Also running with a bit of an injury and still finishing with great speed.
- Isa, All-Regional in 15th place with a time of 21:05. Amazing effort, you are a gamer and always show up when we need you!
- Ainslie, 17th place with a time of 21:21.Great start and great finish. You did what was needed and wanted it more than the Linden runner.
- Bella, 22nd place with a time of 21:50. Amazing race!! You are getting really good at this sport and we are so happy you decided to join us.
- Regan, 31st place with a time of 22:29. This was your best finish all year! You had amazing food speed down the home stretch
- Natalie, 50th place with a time of 24:22. Great effort, you ran while sick and fought for your teammates. Great work.
- Annie, amazing time of 22:43. You looked great a beat a ton of boys.
- Katelyn, great effort running 23:26. You are always so consistent.
- Faye, 25:30. You have fought back from your ankle injury and are running amazing.
- Melissa, 26:46. Such an amazing smile while you run. Great effort.
- Jillian, 26:54. This was amazing, you just keep working harder and harder and keep getting faster and faster!
- Lydia, 27:27. Great effort, we are so happy you joined the team.
- Julia, 27:41. Another PR, this time by over a minute. Amazing.
- Ana, 28:54. Great effort! You always give your best effort and are an absolute joy to coach.
- Katelyn, 32:36. This was a great effort on this course. Always a joy to have you around.
- Shaina, 33:14. This was your 2nd fastest time, great effort.
- Ellie / Zoe / Madelyn / MaryClare 34:16. This was a great way to finish off your senior year, with a really run race. I had a number of parents from other team say “ hey your girls are over there and having a blast”. I will cry when your time in xc is done.
Special thank you to the Wilker family, team bonding is so very important. We greatly appreciate the opportunity for the girls to bond at your home over dinner.
TEAM BONDING REALLY WORKS!!!
We are so proud of all of you, this was a great team victory. On to the State meet!